Friday, August 20, 2010

Old Glass Sign Enigma at Canterbury Records on Colorado just west of Lake

The Canterbury Record Shop historic projecting sign which we are all familiar with. The enigma of the Colorado Blvd. Canterbury Record Shop: the antique glass mirror facade sign, as seen below. What does it mean and what is it advertising? The design appears to be a "P" inside a stylized lyre. It must be very old. Does Pasadena have the only historic glass mirrored advertising sign left in the West?
The only place I've seen glass mirrored advertising signs is in Europe years ago, in Bavaria and in Karlsbad, Czechoslovakia, but they are mostly gone or badly deteriorated, such as the one pictured below.


The Canterbury Record Shop has been at this general location for a very long time, decades in fact. They took over and expanded in the former See's Candy location which went to the corner of Hudson, when See's Candy moved, I think back in the 1970's. But I don't understand the stylized "P" in what looks like a lyre of this gold mirrored sign. This is a little historic jewel and probably not noticed by most passersby. Hopefully, we can protect it and allow it to survive into the coming years, through all facade improvements of this buildings, for future generations to puzzle about and admire its beauty. Let me know if you've seen it and what you think it is.

















































11 comments:

  1. Somebody once said that was one of the many homes of the "Pasadena Cafeteria". I do not know if that is accurate or not as it would have been across the street from Beadle's.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never even noticed the mirrored sign. I'll have to take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if anyone will read this all these years later, but much to my delight I solved this mystery tonight! 811 E. Colorado Blvd was once home to Payne Co Glass and Mirror Shop. By googling his info, you can find a picture of the shop taken in 1945 and clearly see the two mirrored panels on either side of the front!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jenny, I'm still following the post. I wasn't able to find the information by googling. Do you have a link you can post here?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for the double post! I should have included a link! I got a little too excited. Here you go:

    http://collection.pasadenadigitalhistory.com/cdm/singleitem/collection/p16237coll8/id/482/rec/6

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic link! Now I can't wait to go take a picture of the doorway as it is now. I've never even noticed if the 1922 is still there. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're welcome Petrea! I've had a blast reading your blog as well as this one. (unfortunately the building in question here got and unfortunate stucco makeover and the 1922 is no longer there, or at least no longer visible. However, judging by the recent de-stucco-ing of the face of Subway/Foodie Cube just down the block, the original facade could absolutely be underneath there!). I also came across an old picture of it's neighbor @ 817 E. Colorado - an Atwater Kent Radio Store - http://collection.pasadenadigitalhistory.com/cdm/ref/collection/p15123coll2/id/224

    It's amazing to think what could be under all of that stucco!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's just terrific. The digital files we have via the library/museum/Huntington are real treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello,
    I was finally able to get back in to this blog and will be adding content. I'm glad some readers are still looking here and I've found more interesting information regarding Avenue to the Sky....The Altadena Historical Society has let me know that they find this blog very interesting and I will share more of my research soon, so stand by. I also love the photos of the Pasadena Digital History Project......

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to know! I'll put the blog on my "follow" list again and look forward to what you find.

    ReplyDelete